Ingredients (use organic ingredients, local when possible):
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large green or red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1- 14oz. can diced tomatoes, drained and juice reserved
1- 14oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups water
3/4 cup quinoa
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1- 8oz. can tomato sauce seasoned with 1/2 teaspoon each cumin and chipotle chili powder (more seasoning to taste)
1/4 cup vegan mayo
squirt of ketchup
squirt of lime juice
6 soft taco size flour tortillas
Optional: manchego or cheddar cheese
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Heat olive oil in a medium sized pot and saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic until they are soft. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, and oregano and then add the drained tomatoes and spinach. Add the black beans, water and quinoa. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Stir in thawed corn. Season with salt and pepper.
3) To make the sauce, mix the tomato sauce and the reserved tomato juice in a bowl. Season with cumin and chipotle chili powder. Stir until combined.
4) Prepare drizzle by combining vegan mayo, ketchup and lime juice in another small bowl.
5) To prepare enchiladas, spread a little bit of sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. If using cheese, line a tortilla with a slice of manchego or cheddar cheese. Fill the tortilla generously with quinoa mixture. There will be a lot of filling so don’t be afraid to fill them to bursting. Roll the tortilla closed and place seam side down in the baking dish. Proceed with the rest of the tortillas. Pour remaining sauce on top of all the burritos. Drizzle with reserved sauce and vegan mayo/lime juice mixture. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
Makes: 6 burritos, Preparation time: 40 minutes, Cooking time: 20 minutes
Source of recipe: Adapted from a recipe I found on vegweb.com: http://vegweb.com/recipes/quinoa-veggie-bean-burritos-enchilada-style